Tuesday, September 26, 2006

My favourite things - 1

There are a few things I am extremely fond of. Beer in the company of friends, for example. Good food, for example. Lots of time on hand and multiple books to read, for example. Trading in equity erivatives, for example.

But there is one thing which is close to top of my list of favourite activities. I love driving. Any kind of road, any time of the day, I can drive for hours. My new Hyundai Santro enhances this experience, because it has a very good air conditioning system (compared to my earlier Maruti Zen), and is a very manoeuverable vehicle. Also I have discovered this new channel on FM (95 MHz), which plays only hit songs without any advertisements in between.

I love driving at night on desolate roads. I find it therapeutic to just drive on, without track of time, without care for destination. I love the thrill of adventure, the anonymity of a car. One of my dreams is to drive around India for a month or so, and cover all parts of the country on the Golden Quadrilateral. I'm sure I will do that someday soon.

I think what attracts me most towards driving is the fact that my mind is clear - I am concentrating only on the road ahead, my reflexes primed fully on the task of driving. No thoughts enter my mind, and I reach a state very close to that while meditating. I love the feeling of being awake, aware and totally in control.

I think its time for me to implement my journey around India in my car!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the many things I was looking forward to when moving to Bombay was listening to good English music on 92.5 .. Sadly though, 92.5 too has gone Bolly :(( My fav FM time is from 10-11 when they play old Hindi. Other fav things - morning run for example, shopping for veggies n fruits in the pali naka market for example, cooking for example , spending close to 2 hours over the Sunday HT post morning run and pali naka shopping and a sumptous breakfast for example :)

Me

Alam said...

even i love driving.....
I hope when you buy that dream machine(I am sure you will buy one before me), you will let me drive it

:-)

Anonymous said...

Dude.. I'm glad we share this love - driving I mean... not sure if I ever mentioned it to you but a car trip to all corners of India is my dream as well.. someday will do it.. I tried to do a similar car trip in Western Europe.. but only managed France, Belgium, Netherlands & Germany... was good though - slept in my car every night :)
By the way, check out this Torben Pfeiffer's blog.. this South African guy used to work for Sapient and was in Delhi for quite some time.. guess how he returned to South Africa.. drove all the way from Delhi to Cape Town in a motorcycle.. cool eh!!! Thats true passion for the road.. The Long Way Home http://torbs.typepad.com .. inspired?

Anonymous said...

driving on the golden quad may be OK but one of the best trips i hv had is on the Delhi Lansdowne stretch after Bijnor...

on a rainy day in my new santro

A