Sunday, September 24, 2006

Sound demons

We have shifted recently to Faridabad. Our new home is a quaint little place, nestled on the foothills of the Aravallis. Although a bit out of place from the throbbing hubs of commercial Delhi, it has a very charming environment, with rolling hills as far as one can see, and roads going all topsy turvy, like a hill station. The breeze is always cool and gusty.

For me the biggest benefit of the shift was a tremendous decrease in ambient noise in the neighbourhood. In Paschim Vihar (my previous home), we were accosted daily by traffic on the Outer Ring Road, sundry marriages and loud garish bands, competing MLAs organizing 'jaagrans' each night of the year, performances by 'stars' in the community center next to home and other general cacophony.

Of these, I was most irritated by the loud proclamations of devotion to gods and goddesses all night round. I am mostly agnostic, and happy to let people worship whoever they think is the right god for them, but I object seriously to loudspeakers advertising this devotion to the world at large.

So far, my new home has been ideal in this regard. Sadly, with the onset of the festival season, this freedom from noise has come under threat. Only today, while driving home, I espied a Navratra pandal and HUGE loudspeakers... As I write, I can hear some lady proclaiming her love for god on some remixed Himesh tune... Enough to give me the creeps. I hope this is an isolated incident and not a sign of things to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

imagine a world without sound, without celebration ,without absurdity ,without silliness, without irrationality , without imperfections......gosh!! it would be without joy!
why i like India is because of all these inanities..it is so vibrant ,so charged and so alive and kicking.in fact quite different from the sanitised western world. strange how the word sanitized reminds me of a dead body wrapped in a white shroud in a spotlessly clean hospital !!!!!
v

Anonymous said...

dude, i must visit your house... sounds pretty cool!!!! btw, please yaar.. let me know who this f**king Himesh is!! I'm getting more and more curious.....

"Victory Is Mine"

Anonymous said...

loved ur sound demons blog. Its quite irritating when people try to live in a society with complete disregard for others. I still remember when i was in class XII- during my board exams, there was a marriage on the public ground. Blaring stupid loud the so called "music" and highly irritating . I went to the request those people to reduce the volume and the request was turned down in the name of celebration (i call it nuisance). I sincerely hope that the couple who got married, are cursed by the same thing. When their kids are having board exams, I really wish their kids are irritated and their concentration in their board exams disturbed by some similar noise. Like begets like!