Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Singapore Sling - 3

I have been interacting with a lot of people lately here in Singapore. And all of various nationalities – Germans, Scandinavians, Americans, English, Chinese, Japanese, other Asians, Indians, Australians, South Africans and other assorted Europeans. All in all a diverse bunch. It is quite amusing and insightful to observe the cultural norms and peculiarities of different nationalities. Some stereotypes (apologies to any hurt feelings - no mal intent here!!):
1. Americans usually take center stage – not because they are great problem solvers or people persons, but simply because they are quite assertive and focus a lot on communication.
2. The Germans are dour (that’s a nice word, meant here in a positive way!!), rational and serious.
3. The Scandinavians are a shy and pleasant bunch.
4. The Koreans are the most aggressive of the Asian gang.
5. Indians and Chinese actually get along together quite well!!
6. Indians (living in India) are usually quite intelligent but are usually content to give up the spotlight. Indians (living in the US or Europe) are more assertive and savvy in communicating.

At the same time, it is a strangely reassuring experience to find similarities between people of roughly the same age, background and profession. Overall, it was surprising for me that the issues most people of my age and milieu in India grapple with are exactly the same for my buddies here. For example
1. How can we get ahead?
2. How can we lead more meaningful lives?
3. How can I earn double of my current salary?
4. How can I get drunk quickly?
There are also a few differences –
1. The importance of sports, health and exercise in the lives of people of developed countries is a feature worth emulating in Indians.
2. The fact that most people of other nationalities have some interests and hobbies outside of work which they take seriously.

What is also interesting is the fact that most people respect economic prowess. India is big on everyone’s radar right now because it is BOOMING!! It feels very powerful and privileged to be an Indian living in India right now :-D. I hope I keep getting this feeling for a long long time. I also hope that I can contribute to increasing GDP not only by increasing consumption, but also by producing some valuable goods or services and providing employment to my countrymen!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read Subroto Bagichi's latest address today and it made me feel Egzactly the same as you described in your last para !

All of a sudden, its cool to be an Indian living in India :))

Me

Anonymous said...

Interesting stereotypes. agree with all of them :-)

Nothing Spectacular said...

Hi Me,
Hey can you share the article with me. I dont think it comes in the Delhi edition of TOI..
Cheers,