Wednesday, December 27, 2006

And another....

Walt Whitman this time. Rather deep, but oftentimes I have felt like this:

To a Stranger
by Walt Whitman (1819 - 1892)

Passing stranger! you do not know
How longingly I look upon you,
You must be he I was seeking,
Or she I was seeking(It comes to me as a dream)

I have somewhere surely
Lived a life of joy with you,
All is recall'd as we flit by each other,
Fluid, affectionate, chaste, matured,

You grew up with me,
Were a boy with me or a girl with me,
I ate with you and slept with you, your body has become
not yours only nor left my body mine only,

You give me the pleasure of your eyes,face, flesh as we pass,
You take of my beard, breast, hands,in return,

I am not to speak to you,
I am to think of you when I sit alone or wake at night, alone
I am to wait,
I do not doubt I am to meet you again
I am to see to it that I do not lose you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be he I was seeking,
Or she I was seeking


Appears bi-sexual to me

Anonymous said...

you need to fall in love and the search will be over.

Anonymous said...

Nice poem. Deep and all that but I havent felt this way for a stranger ever. Or rather, I did feel this way for a person I thot I knew but who turned out to be a stranger after all.

Me

Alam said...

Boss anonymous logon ko to samajh mey aa gayi lagti hai(saarey anonymous loge ladki lagtey hain).......par merey jaisi moti buddhi ko samajh mey nahi aayi

Hindi mey clue do...
ye kya keh raha hai Walt Whitman?
ye kiskey saath "do badan ek jaan" hona chahta hai?
Isey ladkiyan pasand hai ki ladkey (ya ye itna frust hai ki koi bhi chalega)?
Kya isey apney ander hi ek ladka aur ek ladki donon dikh rahey hain?

Kya ye metro-sexual hai ???

Nothing Spectacular said...

Dear Baawra bhai:

The way I interpret this poem is that it is basically the longing of the poet for someone to love. Isliye usko strangers dekh kar ke pyar mohobbat ke khayal aate hain..

As for boy or girl, I interpret it in 2 ways:
1) very literally, he was dreaming, so gender was ambiguous
2) he is writing not for himself (as a man) but for the world at large. So a female reader can choose the stranger to be male and vice versa

And definitely ye metro sexual hai (he wrote in very early 1900s, a 100 years before David Beckham, so you know that fashions keep cycling back :-)

Bland Spice said...

my thots for all the passing chicks