Tuesday, December 19, 2006

A tale of two cities

As they say - there is a thin line between plagiarism and inspiration :-). My buddy Saini's post brought to surface one not-so-cooked thought that has been bubbling in my mind.

Recently, I paid an almost-flying visit to that city of dreams - Mumbai. Being a hardcore 'Dilliwala' (I have been told by some girls that I'm the quintessential Delhi guy, even though I dispute the assertion stoutly), the city just does not cut it for me. Now before the Mumbai folk crucify me, let me present my credentials - I have lived in Mumbai for close to a decade, the most recent instance being a two year stint at work. Therefore I speak of the city as I would of an old friend, with frankness and familiarity.

In my opinion, the most objectionable thing about Mumbai is 'lack' - lack of space, lack of time, lack of comfort and lack of civility. Somehow, I can never be comfortable with the bustling hum of activity in the city 24x7. Everywhere one goes, one is accosted by 5000 other people trying to get in...contrast this to the vast spaces of Delhi, the wide roads, the gardens which let one reflect and the thrill of trying to prevent everyone else from taking you for a ride :-). I have never (in Mumbai) gone to one place and actually had the inclination to think, or even just observe - all I ever seem to be able to do is negotiate room to walk in, protect myself from bulldozing crowds, watch out for potholes or just plain long for the silence of my room. Even the Crossword book store this time seemed too full and noisy.

This is not to say that Mumbai does not have its points - it has the ONE thing that I love most - the sea. Walking along the Marine Drive hearing the roar of the sea is something I am willing to do anytime. But even there one has to be careful that the ever-continuous pavement repair work, the milling crowds of lovers, joggers and families do not trip you up.

No one in Mumbai seems to have time for anything - people actually time their lives according to the local train timings. And the poverty is so open and in-your-face. There is also so much of it. Delhi scores much better on both parameters.

The weather is also a negative factor - the humidity and heat of Mumbai make me twitchy (not to say Delhi has great weather - but at least its not dusty and humid like good ol' Mumbai).

As I wrap up this litany of complaints against Mumbai, I must say - winter in Delhi makes me want to spend sunny days in Mumbai!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Mumbai just does not cut it for me. Its too vertical and too mechanical and too methodical (see how people queue up to get on to the bus!) for me. Delhi it is for me!

Marutham said...

Haven't been there...
But my friend has mentioned the same abt mumbai. :)
Nice post
Regards,
Marutham

Anonymous said...

Agree on the width of roads and the 24/7 buzz/noise.. sometimes, you just want everyone to just try observing noble silence for a short while..

Dont agree on the lack of civility though..How do you define it- as being sugary sweet without intending respect or being of actual help? No, Mumbai doesnt have it. Delhi has aplenty.

Talk about straight-forward, no-nonsense public civility. Mumbai has it by the truckloads. Delhi by cupfuls :))

Also, have you noticed the difference in general quality of people flocking bookshops in the two cities. The truckful and cupful theory holds here as well. You argument would not hold valid as I am aware of the quality you sometimes seek at bookshops ;)

Me

Anonymous said...

I think its just the perception ..the way you see it,which is often guided by where you've lived and have been brought up ... Both are equally good in their own ways ...
..
from neither a Delhite nor mumbaite

Anonymous said...

u, a quintessential delhi guy!! no way man...never known you to be a #@!$@%$$%*(&^@

-kotler

Anonymous said...

must cancel my visit to mumbai,IMMMEDIATELY!