Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Circularity

After a particularly rough day at work today, I am surrounded by many questions which point to uncomfortable answers.

For instance, what is the point of all this stress? I certainly know what I am giving up - time, which will never come back, my health, and peace of mind. What am I getting in return? Material comfort, security, experience perhaps. But are these qualities / skills that I cannot get without incurring this stress?

Another one - what is the materiality of all my existence? What am I doing that is unique and which cannot be done by someone else? Am I even trying to make a difference? I am trying to get ahead, certainly, but ahead in which queue? At the end of it all, will I be at the front of a queue of lemmings?

Third - why do trivial things like this affect me so much? Poverty, global warming, injustice are issues that are humungously more significant to my future life than any of these infrequent irritants. Yet I let these inconsequential issues take on a much larger significance in the here and now.

Fourth - what am I going to do about it? Other than writing this blogpost, i.e. I obviously dont have the appetite for radical solutions. And incremental solutions probably wont matter.

3 comments:

Alam said...

here's my take on a little line you wrote "..What am I doing that is unique and which cannot be done by someone else?"

I think it does not matter if someone has done a thing before you ... most probably all things (including climbing mount everest and sleeping with aishwarya rai) have already been done by someone else...

What probably should matter is --- have YOU done that thing before? ... can YOU do it better than your last attempt....

Truly inventive and new things happen by chance (Hey how did my bone structure come on this photo film ... aha look, hitting these stone together has started a fire)

And maybe sometimes, while trying to better ones own self, you just might do something great ... (Phew this seventh Tour de France was the best)

Anonymous said...

Do something before you stop asking these questions .Doing something for someone totally unrelated to our existence gives a real high .Your generation has the economic security to look beyond your immediate needs so why not give it a try maybe visiting and helping children at an orphanage ?

Anonymous said...


Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us creditloan11@gmail.com