Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Finito

Finally today, 2008 comes to an end. A spectacular annus horribilis for many, just the ending of which brings a spring of hope in the heart.
I for one, am quite pleased to see the year end, and I fervently hope 2009 is much better. Perhaps it is futile to think that the completion of one revolution of the Earth around the Sun (from an arbitrary starting point, to boot!) will change anything. But a new year is always a good time for cleaning up the slate, making new beginnings, and letting go old misfortunes.
I dislike 2008 for many reasons, but primarily because I wasted it. I just went through routine the entire year, and truth be told, was happy to be swept by inertia. No new beginnings, no exciting plans made, just plain humdrum existence. At the end of it, I have nothing to remember - except bad memories, perhaps. Work, family, fitness, finances, self awareness, social activity - 2008 saw all these aspects of my life deteriorate.
I hope to change all this in 2009. Setting myself 3 specific tasks, I will endeavour to make the year count, so that this time next year, I can look back and not feel lost.

1 comment:

Bland Spice said...

You're right - eerily similar.