Monday, April 30, 2012

Movie in Chennai

Generally speaking, it is very difficult to watch movies in Chennai. For one, local movies are more popular so English / Hindi movies get taken off very quickly (if they are exhibited in the first place). Also, there is a great shortage of movie screens in the city. I can count a grand total of 3 multiplexes within reasonable city limits, so getting tickets is always going to be a challenge. But the final icing on the cake is the fact that the multiplexes do not allow one to book a lot of seats online - for some inexplicable reason, they release only a very limited inventory of seats on their online booking systems. More than once, I have found the site showing no seats available, only to find the hall half empty when I actually got there.

Not surprising therefore that the wife and I have not watched too many movies in Chennai. It was a welcome surprise for me when I managed to get seats for Vicky Donor last weekend (ok, I cheated! I booked the tickets something like 10 days in advance!).

The movie is refreshingly different from most other movies I have seen recently (and I haven't seen a whole lot for reasons mentioned above). Funny, not in a slapstick / laugh riot kind of way, but in a make you think kind of way. I particularly liked the social messaging within the movie, as well as the lead actors. The end made me smile a lot, as well as leave a lump in my throat.

If for nothing else, watch the movie for Annu Kapoor's brilliant and entirely believeable take on Dr. Chaddha from Daryaganj!

No comments: