Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Airport outings

Before I go on, one minor clarification - due to an adroit change in settings for this blog, you can now post comments even if you do not have a blogger id. Thanks to a dear friend for pointing this out. Now for the post -
One thing I always notice at airports in India (and particularly Delhi and Chennai) is that the women are all well dressed! Of course men may also be better dressed inside an airport than outside, but then I never notice men as much as I do women.
Perhaps being well turned out has to do with the socio-economic profile of passengers, with the people able to afford air travel generally being better dressed than your average Jane. I however would like to believe a less statistically provable theory - Indians by and large view air travel as an outing to be enjoyed. Therefore better dressing for the special occasions.. complete with makeup, fashionable dresses and perfume!!
This provides good diversion for me as I undertake those interminable waits for delayed flights.
Just today I espied a couple of beautiful women on my flight to Delhi, dressed in clothes I have never seen outside a ramp. Closer inspection revealed that they spoke in Creole, which led me to the conclusion that they were Mauritian. Therefore not a valid sample to base my theories on...
I can, however, not count myself among the set of people under focus here. For me, air travel is strictly utilitarian, and comfort comes first. Not that I dress fashionably under ANY circumstance. Indeed, I have been asked if dark blue t-shirts are all that I have in my wardrobe!!

4 comments:

Tambourine Man said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tambourine Man said...

Vishesh, Good start. Loved it. (The blog was worth waking up at 3:30 AM to the sound of your sms). Dunno how often you travel these days - my guess is that you're on a plane every third day - but you may even have found a theme "The Great Indian Airline Blog".

bluesky said...

i have been asked if all i have is white and light-blue shirts and black t-shirts

Amit said...

Do you mean you wear nothing else but dark blue Tee's while travelling? Nothing else?