Sunday, December 03, 2006

A new invention: QQ

As I was driving home from work on a late Saturday night, I thought of a totally random idea - a scale for rating people on the interesting / non-interesting dimension. I call this the 'quirkyness quotient', on the principle that the more quirky people are, the more interesting I find them.

First, a definition of the word 'quirky'. I think quirky is another word for eccentric, unique or plain mad. A quirky person is obsessed with trivia, is interested about inane stuff, and gives a damn about what other people may think of his / her preferences.

I have been fortunate to associate with people I consider quirky - Gullu (of Bland Spice fame), Gaurav Saxena (who was interested only in quantum physics and little else), good buddy Mahender Bisht (who backpacks through the Sahara desert and Peru in his spare time), Pratik Biswas (a guy I interned with in Munich, and who was mad as a hatter), Farhad Mehta (who lived in his own world of fractals in IITD) and others too numerous to mention here.

As I struggle to find uses of the QQ, I can think of some - like it should be a necessary input in a job resume, in a matrimonial column, in a social networking website like orkut etc.
Even blogs could have QQs - thus attracting the right kind of readership. Research institutes could insist on high QQs.

In fact, once QQ becomes all pervasive, we could even get quotas in jobs, schools etc for high QQ cohorts.

So from now on, there will only be 2 kinds of people in the world for me - high QQ or low QQ. May the former thrive and multiply!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

QQ - Absolutely love the concept!

Vishesh, next task - create a QQ test! :-)

Sarah! said...

You're right. I think that's part of the reason I was so frustrated.. normally, that'd be my course of action. Not that I feel like I have amazing wisdom to share, but I like starting dialogues. I just felt helpless. Who knows what the last five days will bring...

Thanks for your comment, by the way.

Anonymous said...

good concept.. something that gets me going too - i mean meeting weird (quirky) people.. although, i had no idea that this was what interested you... but honestly, if you want to meet quirky people (with interests like running for 4 hours in Dubai heat), you have to live in Dubai - i haven't met so many people with varied interests in one place in the amount of time i have spent here (2 months).. or you must go to a place like INSEAD.. its almost as if you get into INSEAD only if you have some weird interests ...

Bland Spice said...

you've thumbtacked a very abstract fact here. one taht had been staring at all of us for quite some time but somehow had never been spoken so explicitly.

i will add just one more dimension to this "interest grabbing" streak. Depth. Any field, it might be butterflies in Croatia. If I meet a person who has all the little detailas into anything or skills of any form (conducive to public viewing of course) I am fascintaed.

Let's think a little more on what you have mentioned here.

Anonymous said...

Anon was not Me !

Anonymous said...

Who is me?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

delicious food for thought!