Friday, June 20, 2008

Powerful

I saw Aamir yesterday, and was blown away by the movie. It is gripping, hard-hitting and powerful. One needs a strong stomach to watch the thing. Although it evoked very mixed reactions from the people around me, without giving anything away, a few things that really stood out for me in the movie:
  • The humanity of the protagonist - the guy is an everyday joe, doing what anyone would in his situation. What he does at the end, when he takes charge of his own destiny, is something that requires great courage. The alternative was quite easy to do, and putting myself into his shoes, I probably would have taken the easy way out - I could not have done what he did
  • The depiction of Bombay - very real (brutally so!)
  • The taut script - no needless subplots, no (melo)dramatic dialogue, good background score, good acting. The name itself - Aamir - which means a leader of men - is very apt
  • The thoughts it provoked in me - the essence of the movie is that everyone is responsible for their own destiny, and that there comes a time when (to express it most beautifully) a guy's got to do what a guy's got to do. An individual is a trifle, insignificant and immaterial. There comes an opportunity to transcend oneself, to become greater than the sum of your existence and the society around you. The one who grabs that opportunity is Aamir

1 comment:

random musings of a lost philospher said...

hey...

I saw the movie a couple of weeks ago and to put it mildy, I was horrified! Apart from the fact that I seriosuly liked it , I also came away thinking that why? oh why is it always the good guy who ends up distressed,defeated or dead?!?

'....transcend oneself, to become greater than the sum of your existence the society around you...'Seriously dude!! To what effect!?! *SIGH* I guess its just that I am so disillusioned by what the world has come to that i want to disown my place in it...

One though that I could not get out of my head...'goodness/righteousness for the sake of goodness, does something like that exsist?Does it make sense? Is it really sensible to sacrifice your self on the altar of your ideals/conscience? For nameless/thankless beings? At the cost of your exsistence?'....

Hmmm...just re-read what I read and damn! I sound so cynical! Actually, its probably just the pent up frustration of a true-blue idealist! :-) :-)