Thursday, December 17, 2009

What does this mean?

If this is marketing strategy, then I'm really glad that I didn't major in marketing. This is the sign put up by Haagen Dazs in a posh south Delhi mall.


Not only do I not understand what this means, I don't think anyone else does, either!
Are they trying to stress how premium their ice-cream is? So premium that only foreigners can eat it? Well, perhaps. But then, why are you launching in India???

In my opinion, this is a really stupid and 'guaranteed to fail' method for launching any new brand. In fact, it is probably downright illegal. If I were sitting in the head office of Haagen Dazs, I would fire the top management.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

talk abt ice creams leaving a bad taste in ur mouth..

this one surely does with a downright idiotic and suicidal strategy, guaranteed to create bad publicity for HD...

~a

Anonymous said...

The effort surely is to create a sense of exclusivity about the brand - what with the Indian mindset of attaching a premium to everything foreign. But this is indeed a sad strategy, in many ways racial. The worst part is, I am sure, some Indian would have come up with the idea of this campaign.

iissarayu said...

I thought all passports were for nationals. You know, indian passport for "indian nationals", german passport for "german national". Yeh international passport kya hai?

But yes, disgusting. The worst part is: you can't even protest by not going.